Thursday 17 March 2011

characterisation

Characterisation: Nikki reed and rachel wood in Thirteen relate to my characters of Anna and Jade

Character Evie:Nikki Reed 

Describe Evie’s character…
Evie is insecure. She definitely grew up too fast and was faced with a lot of things. You never really know what’s going on with her because she lies a lot. Obviously, she’s been abandoned and she’s in survivor mode. She takes what she needs because all her life, she had to take care of herself. I saw her being four-years-old and watching her mother O.D.’ing on the carpet, or something like that. It was hard things like that that we shouldn’t see when we’re young. So her insecurities come out, fortunately for her, as being very confident. Putting other people below her makes her feel like she’s on top of the water and that she can breathe. I just think she needs a mom and someone to take care of her. Hopefully, she’ll find it one day in her life, like a household that’s stable.
Talk about the struggles you faced when you were 13, and then talk about the Evie-type character in your life.
There wasn’t an Evie in my life. There were a couple of girls in my life, and a couple in Catherine’s life – Evie’s actually the only girl in the movie that’s a composite character. The other ones are too, of course, things can [written] in. Like if Holly Hunter is playing her Melanie, then of course Holly brings herself into it. Evie is the only character that doesn’t have a specific character to match.
I went through a lot of things. The story’s not autobiographical, Tracy is very close to me and to a lot of stuff I went through. But it’s a movie. It’s an hour [and a half] long and you can’t have someone’s entire life or personality put into something that’s going to be on screen.


Character tracy: Rachel Wood
By contrast, Evan Rachel Wood is quieter and more shy, rarely looking up when answering questions. Wood, of course, is more polished and has more experience with the whole press thing; a star of the short-lived “She doesn’t appear jaded either, but she’s certainly got a darker edge than her costar. One could even say she resembles her on-screen character as well." Wood has made a habit of playing the sad, introverted teen, a choice she seems to acknowledge. “It’s just a type I enjoy playing”, she says, smiling. “But I don’t want to be typecast as the misery chick for the rest of my career. I guess I have to watch out for that.


Both of these characters link to my characters of Jade and Anna both are rebellious and best friends. they support each other and try and ghet on woth their lives even though sometimes they are confused.
the character of Evie relates to Anna as Anna is very strong, confident but very independent with no additional support form parents. She lends support to her best friend Jade. this is similar to the character of Evie in Thirteen.

The Character of Tracy in Thirteen is similar to my charatcer Jade as they are both quieter, shy and emotional.
these characters helped me see the rebellious side to teenagers and hepled with some of the dialogue in my play when writing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wScczSXpM4k