Tuesday 23 November 2010

radio play children in need

CHILDREN IN NEED ALL THE BLOOD IN MY VEINS

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00vy37d

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00vy37d/Afternoon_Play_Children_in_Need_All_the_Blood_in_My_Veins

This play can help me with my final idea as the narrator is a teenage girl who has more responsibilites than she should at that age. she looks after her mother and younger sister and her house. It shows the strained relationship she has with the mother and talkes on the role of mother for her younger sister. She lives in a poor area and has money for food only. this links to my play as she will have responsibilites before she should when she gets pregnant. The play also gives technical elements like pauses to heighten emotion and fade outs from scene to scene. She also talks about herself in the third person, as if the events of her life are happening to someone else. This is a great narrative device that I could explore in my play. The real life of a young girl links well to my idea and shows a diferent aspect of teens in society.

Also as seen previously i  listened and analysed  the radio play Twilightbaby.com which was about a woman who was pregnant and preparing for the birth of her baby at the late stage in her life.  This mirrors my idea in that a girl is having a baby at the stage in her life she is not prepared for. Twilightbaby also follows the same form as my play will in that, it will listen to the girl's thoughts in first person and third person when hearing events in her life. this will keep the narrative interesting. Twilightbaby is light hearted but my idea will be more dramatic and go through the problems she expereinces in her life.

The link to this is: